Sunday, December 30, 2012

Resolutions

The priest said in today's homily that we should always do 3 things to start the year right - be thankful for the blessings of the previous year, admit the mistakes done in the previous year, and make concrete resolutions for the new year. His words struck a chord on me and I am using them as inspiration to start 2013.

I have so many things to be thankful for in the year 2012. I have already listed them down and I will publish the post on Friday (my birthday).

As for the mistakes, I choose to reflect instead on my 2012 resolutions and evaluate how I fared with them.

2012 resolution number 1: Spend quality time with my daughter

Well, this I was able to do! This was such an important resolution for me and I am so proud to have been true to it. Yay me! I specifically made time to go on mini dates and have one-on-one bonding times with Ally. She and I have also taken to doing worksheets and "assignments" this school year. They are not part of her school's curriculum, but don't worry, I am not pressuring her (too much), she just seriously enjoys them.

2012 resolution number 2: Refrain from buying pretty but cheapo clothes and shoes

Except for maybe 2 or 3 tops, I was kinda successful with this resolution. Yay me!

2012 resolution number 3: Take up and keep a hobby

Fail! I didn't learn any new skill in 2012. I hardly used my DSLR and I don't remember even opening Photoshop or any photo editing software. Yikes! I should really work on this resolution this year.

2012 resolution number 4: Keep in touch with high school and college friends

I was sort of successful with this one too. I attended a high school friend's and a college friend's wedding (and both were held out of town). We had several dinners throughout the year. And I kept in touch beyond FB! I called and sent SMS and emails. So yay me!

2012 resolution number 5: Read at least 2 books a month

I was able to read 2-3 books per month prior to giving birth to Sofia. But after I had her, I don't have much time to read anymore. I am the type who wants to finish a book in one sitting, and that is next to impossible with a toddler and an infant in the house.

2012 resolution number 6: Blog

I have been productive the last three months of the year, huge thanks to my iPhone and the Blogger app. And I am more optimistic that I can keep this up this time. I am enjoying myself and I like that I have an outlet for my stories, no matter how trivial they may be. I also like that I have something that keeps my mind busy. Yay!

My score is 4/6 (half points each for resolutions 5 and 6). Not bad at all! And more importantly, I feel like I've progressed a bit from where I was this time last year. I somewhat achieved and stuck to my goals and I am proud of myself. Going forward, I hope to be able to keep this up and progress more for 2013. But, aside from these recycled resolutions, here are a few more concrete resolutions to challenge myself more:

1. Lessen impulse buys and stick to a monthly shopping budget

2. Declutter and organize the house and computer files

3. Run a 10km marathon

4. Look into becoming a breastfeeding peer counselor

5. Learn to cook at least 1 viand

6. Learn to bake choco chip cookies

Thank you, 2012. It has been awesome. You're next, 2013. I am sure we are going to have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment