Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Instagram, Envy and Dim sum

I have a love-hate relationship with Instagram. It brings out all my insecurities and feeds my jealous nature. Seriously, of the seven deadly sins, envy is the hardest to overcome for me. Not that I become so envious to the point of being mean and doing what I can to bring the other down (and consequently put myself up). No. I am more of the I-am-so-jealous-that-I-stop-myself-from-being-content-and-happy type. In the end, I am the one who suffers. Argh.

Despite knowing how Instagram causes me to sin and brings me to misery, I can't bring myself to delete my account and/or stop viewing others'.

Yeah, I must be somewhat of a masochist.

But all envy aside, I love Instagram because it introduces and brings the world to me. I get to see mouthwatering dishes I am interested to try and vacation-worthy places. Yes, there are a lot (and I mean a whole lot) of I-wish-I-had-money-to-buy-that moments, but I try to scroll through them as fast as I can when I know the green-eyed monster is particularly ravenous.

A couple of days ago, several of the mommy bloggers I follow were posting photos of their lunch at Jasmine restaurant in New World Hotel in Makati. They raved about the all-you-can-eat dim sum promo, which at Php600 (+ service charge) was a pretty good deal. The photos they posted looked really yummy to me, and I am no Chinese cuisine fan. My husband on the other hand, can live on Chinese food every day, so I called and booked us for Sunday lunch for our wedding anniversary celebration.

See? I am a total sucker for Instagram (and all forms of social media) marketing. I don't know if I should be happy or sad about it.

Anyway, the dim sum lunch was sulit. The taste, the restaurant ambiance, the service, and the sheer amount of food we ate were all so sulit for the price. Was it the best dim sum I've had? Honestly, no (which reminds me that I haven't written about the Michelin starred restaurant in Hong Kong where we had really good dim sum), but it was definitely better than most of the restaurants we frequent here in Metro Manila. 

Fancy fairy dress for the fancy restaurant


Retail prices of what you can order for the eat-all-you-can
See, sulit diba?
Thanks to social media, taking photos of the food is now the first thing you do once your order is delivered to you
the busog Battung family


No comments:

Post a Comment