Monday, January 14, 2013

Magnolia

I only remember bits and pieces about my own memories of the old Magnolia House in the 80's. I do know my parents brought my sister and I there a couple of times, but the memories are all fuzzy. The clearest picture in my mind is the Bert and Ernie inspired ice cream dish, and I am not even sure if this was something my mind just created for me or it really is a forgotten memory. I think this is the reason why I was not as excited about its reopening as most people were. It is because I don't have clear and tangible memories of the place. Sad, right? Maybe I was too young to appreciate the place or maybe it's just one of those memories that just faded through time. Whatever it was, the new Magnolia House wasn't that big of a deal to me and it has been open for half a year before I got a chance to check the place out.

The new Magnolia House is now just one of the many restaurants in the mall aptly named Robinson's Magnolia Place. And while it still has the old ice cream parlor feel to it, it didn't impress me all that much. The place was cramped and there was little room for all its customers. The tables were so close to each other that there was barely enough walking space between them. I had to stand up several times so that the persons seated in the next table could pass. And while the prices weren't really that expensive (ice cream dishes were about Php170-250 each), I couldn't help but think that I could already buy a half gallon tub of ice cream for that same price. So my verdict? It was nice to be able to have a Magnolia House afternoon with my kids but it won't be something we'd do again anytime soon.

The mall on the other hand, I like. It was spacious and well-lit. It didn't feel like a Metro Manila mall at all. Jojo said it reminded him of Senayan Plaza, a posh mall in Jakarta. For me, the mall had a strong Singapore mall vibe to it, especially its food court. There were still a couple of soon-to-open stores, but the ones that were open offer a good selection of mid-priced and street fashion brands. There is also a small Robinson's department store, which is a plus for me.

Oh, and I have to point out that the Mango store there had the most expansive selection of sale items among the stores I have recently been to in Quezon City. Even if they were already in the further reduction phase of the sale, more than 3/4 area of the store still had sale items and they were still putting out fresh stocks that night. And they had sizes! I was tempted to buy a pair of jeans (which I don't need) but I managed to resist it! So mighty proud of myself! I couldn't resist buying a pair of shades though. How could I? It was leopard print and was foldable! The price? Only Php395 from its original tag price of Php1295. Ah-may-zing!

All in all, the mall was a good weekend pasyal place for my family. For sure this won't be our last trip to Robinson's Magnolia Place.
it

No comments:

Post a Comment